The issues that are important to Victorian carers
Key issues for carers
Caring is recognised and valued
- We want: Giving and receiving care to be seen as valued, normal and expected parts of life.
- Caring to be a shared responsibility: between individuals, governments and communities; within families; and between men and women.
- Professionals to work in partnership with family carers, to value their expertise and to acknowledge the support they provide.
- Paid work to be more compatible with caring and to make it easier for carers to move into and out of employment.
- Adequate income support and superannuation for carers who have a limited capacity to participate in paid work.
Carers need flexible workplaces
- All carers to have access to flexible work and carer leave.
- Businesses to support carers in the workplace
- Support for carer workforce participation with affordable, high quality, alternative care for people with care needs
- Programs to help carers re-enter the workforce.
Carer support services
- Community care services to offer a wide range of options and choices.
- Available, Consistent, accessible, affordable, flexible, good quality services
- No more service gaps or under-funded services Investment in stable, secure housing for people with care needs.