Our population is ageing rapidly and many people look after an older family member with chronic health conditions or dementia.
The Carers Victoria aged care team operates in the Western Metropolitan region of Melbourne, providing expert and local advice, support in times of crisis, and the tools you need to plan for the future.
We understand what caring families are going through and can help you to evaluate your situation and link up to the local services and supports that best meet your needs.
Who do we help?
You can access our aged care services if you:
- Care for somebody aged 65 or older (50 or older for people of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background) or somebody with dementia who lives in the community; and you
- Live in the local government areas of Melbourne, Moonee Valley, Maribyrnong, Brimbank, Melton, Wyndham or Hobsons Bay
We prioritise carers with few or limited formal supports.
How can we help?
- We offer support and give you the chance to talk to somebody
- We arrange respite and may be able to help with the costs
- We give workshops on topics of interest to carers
- We provide information about appropriate respite vacancies in aged care settings
- We link you to other services that may be able to help
- We put you in touch with carer support groups where you can meet other people in similar situations
We work hard to raise the profile of caring families in the West, partnering with other organisations to help them to develop services that are sensitive to the needs of people who are aged and to the needs of the families that care for them.
Arrange a referral
Freecall 1800 052 222 anywhere in the Western Metropolitan region of Melbourne (free call from landlines, mobile calls at mobile rates). Our staff can assess your eligibility and make a direct referral.
You can also ask your GP, case manager or support worker to make a referral with your consent.
Your confidentiality and privacy
Many carers find it difficult to balance paid employment with their caring responsibilities.
The Carers Victoria Carers@Work program helps you to stay in or look for paid employment by arranging flexible respite options for the person you support. We can provide specialised advice if you:
- Care for older people with care needs or has dementia and lives in their own home or with you
- Are in paid employment or have a definite plan to return to work
- Find it hard to balance your work and caring responsibilities
- Live in the Western Metropolitan region of Melbourne