On behalf of the Board and Staff at Carers Victoria we the bushfire crisis currently occurring across Australia and in areas closest to us, the north and south eastern region of Victoria. We also recognise the incredible efforts of the emergency services and other disaster recovery agencies who are working above and beyond in an effort to protect and rebuild these areas.
We fully appreciate and understand the additional challenges that being a carer may present during this difficult time. On top of already challenging logistics for all families, additional needs such as accessing medications, accessible accommodation, medical equipment and explaining the crisis to children or those with cognitive impairments may be just some of the challenges you are facing.
Below is information we have compiled to assist carers and their families ensure they remain safe and access the supports they may require at this time.
Visit the Emergency Services website for key updates on the bushfire crisis including current fire information, health advice and relief and recovery.
- Is someone seriously injured or in need of urgent medical help?
- Is your life or property being threatened?
- Have you just witnessed a serious accident or crime?
If you answered YES call Triple Zero (000). Triple Zero calls are free.
- Visit www.emergency.vic.gov.au for updates on air quality information and what actions you need to take.
- Air quality information is also available at EPA AirWatch website to check for current air quality in your area: www.epa.vic.gov.au/EPAAirWatch
- Nurse on call: If you are concerned about your health, NURSE-ON-CALL puts you directly in touch with a registered nurse for caring, professional health advice around the clock: 1300 60 60 24
Carers Victoria Advisory Service
Our Advisors are available 8.30am - 5.00pm weekdays. Carer advisors can provide emotional support and assess your caring situation for additional support.
Phone 1800 514 845
Based on assessment the types of assistance we may be able to provide include:
Statewide assistance for carers
- Our Carer Advisors can provide immediate support navigating or linking in with local supports and services and emotional support over the phone
- We can provide up to 6 sessions of carer counselling
- Our NDIS advisors can provide NDIS advice and support, including how to apply for an urgent review of your NDIS plan if accommodation is necessary for the person you support.
Additional supports may be available to families in a caring relationship where someone in the relationship is over 65 or a carer living in the western metropolitan region of Melbourne. Examples of these supports may include:
- Support with replacing damaged equipment or walking frames, shower chairs, wheelchairs, pressure mattresses, lifting chairs, portable hoists based on assessment
- Home Assistance: landscaping, gardening, cleaning services, rubbish removal, etc
- Respite: assistance with in home respite or residential respite
- Other supports based on assessment.
Other Carer Services
Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre (all regions) 1800 052 222
- Uniting (Vic and Tas) Ltd - Ovens Murray Goulburn: 03 5723 8000 www.unitingvictas.org.au
- Upper Murray Family Care Inc: 02 6055 8000 www.umfc.com.au
- Latrobe Community Health Service: 1800 242 696 www.lchs.com.au/aged-disability-carers
NDIS 1800 800 110
Every Australian Counts www.everyaustraliancounts.com.au
Supports for fire affected communities
Relief and Recovery
The Emergency Victoria website has information and links to services which may be of assistance in a range of areas including; financial support, accommodation etc. More information is available at www.emergency.vic.gov.au