Mental Health Complaints Commissioner

The Mental Health Complaints Commissioner is an independent, specialist body established under the Mental Health Act 2014 to safeguard people’s rights, resolve complaints about Victorian public mental health services and recommend improvements.

We work collaboratively to resolve complaints in ways that support recovery and wellbeing, and improve services for all Victorians. We use what we learn from complaints to drive positive change, and work to ensure that complaints lead to improvements in the safety and quality of mental health services.

What complaints can we help with?

We deal with complaints about public mental health services in Victoria. This includes publicly funded mental health community support services and NDIS funded mental health community support services.

We can help with complaints about experiences with a service, including accessing a service, treatment and care. If we can’t help with your concerns, we will do our best to put you in touch with others who can.


The Mental Health Complaints Commissioner deals with complaints about public mental health services in Victoria, including services provided under the NDIS framework.

Why make a complaint?

Under Victorian law, you have the right to speak up or complain about a public mental health service. Making a complaint can lead to improved experiences for you and for other people.

How to make a complaint

Talk directly with the service.

Every public mental health service must have a process to help you speak up and raise your concerns.

Talk with us.

We can:

− help you raise your concerns directly with the service

− work with you and the service to help resolve your concerns

− discuss other options, if we are unable to help.

For more information visit the website

We also have a range of inclusive information materials for people receiving public mental health services, families, carers and services that are available here.

Free services

The services we provide are free of charge.

NDIS registered?


Frequently asked questions

Who is this group for?

We work with people receiving Victorian public mental health services, families, carers, advocates, mental health workers and friends – any person who is genuinely concerned about someone’s experience with a public mental health service in Victoria can make a complaint.

Is there a cost?

There are no costs for our services.

Translation services available?

We receive and listen to complaints in any language through interpreters. We will arrange an interpreter at no cost to you when needed. If you are Deaf or have hearing or speech support needs, please contact us through the National Relay Service or email us. We can arrange an appointment or Skype call with an interpreter at no cost to you.

Is the organisation accessible for people with disabilities?


Level 26, 570 Bourke Street, Melbourne VIC 3000

Opening hours

Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm