Carer Support Groups share experiences and knowledge, and gain and offer support to one another in emotional, social and practical ways.
Carer Support groups are made up of people with common needs and experiences. Members help each other in many ways:
- Emotional support – you may find it a relief to talk things over with people who understand the pressures of caring but are independent of the person you care for or your family
- Practical information, tips and resources – most support groups share information about local services and supports, medical treatments and research, or tips to help you in your caring role
- New friends – many carers find that the demands of caring make it difficult to keep in touch with friends and family. Regularly getting out to a support group can expand your social circles and help you feel less alone
Carers Victoria Carer Support Group Directory
If you’re looking for a greater connection with other carers start with the Carers Victoria Carer Support Group Directory. Search for a group near you by postcode or filter your search for a group for specific types of carers or carers of people with specific needs.
Starting and Managing a Carer Support Group
Carers Victoria offers support to assist with facilitating a support group, as well as offering support to build a community network of support.
The Carer Support Group Facilitator training is a comprehensive workshop designed to help with starting a new group, or for new facilitators who are just starting or if you want to refresh your skills and knowledge. The training explores some of the theory and practices of group facilitation.
Communities of Practice is another avenue to feel supported by connecting with other facilitators of carer support groups to build relationships which form a community to share practice, troubleshooting solutions as well as supporting one another. You can register your Community of Practice interest by clicking here.
Click here to find upcoming Carer Support Group Facilitator Training or Carer Support Group Communities of Practice.
Carers Victoria invites Carer Support Groups in Victoria to join our FREE Carer Support Group Membership.
As a Carers Victoria Carer Support Group member, you get access to the following benefits:
- Free membership
- Exclusive invitations to events including our popular Mingle events
- Promote your group to new members via our online Carers Support Group Directory
- Training, resources and opportunities to network
- Stay informed with our monthly eBulletin jam-packed with important carer issues, events and stories
- Free digital access to the Australian Carers Guide magazine
- Champion for real change through consultations, focus groups and research
Our online Carer Support Group Directory helps promote your group to new members. You can share information about the focus, activities and locations of your group meetings and how carers can get in touch with you.
If you have any questions regarding Carers Victoria membership, please don’t hesitate to contact our membership team at email@example.com or 1800 514 845 (option 4).