Caring can be emotionally and physically demanding. Prioritising your wellbeing and gaining balance in your role as a carer is important. There are a number of great free resources available to support your health and wellbeing. Here are some we recommend:
- Join a Carer Support Group in your local area. Visit our Carer Support Group Directory.
- Carers Victoria runs regular wellbeing workshops for carers. Visit our calendar for carers.
- SANE forums: The SANE Forums are moderated, online discussion spaces for Australians 18 years and over who are living with complex mental health issues, and families, friends and carers of people living with complex mental health issues. Visit carersvictoria.saneforums.org
- Beyond Blue: Resources and supports available to help you achieve your best possible mental health. If you need support phone 1300 224 636 or visit the website: beyondblue.org.au
- Lifeline: A national charity providing all Australians experiencing emotional distress with access to 24 hour crisis support and suicide prevention services, available 24/7 on 13 11 14. www.lifeline.org.au
Wellbeing Apps and Websites:
- Spotify: This free app lets you play your favourite
music anytime, anywhere. www.spotify.com/au
- Headspace App: This free app gives you access to short
meditation and mindfulness sessions www.headspace.com
- Smiling Mind: This free app includes various meditation
techniques and a guide on how to meditate.
- Yoga with Adrienne: Free yoga classes on YouTube of varying lengths and intensities: youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene
- Couch to 5k: This program has been designed to get
anyone from the couch to running 5km in just nine
weeks. Find out more: c25k.com
Home Fitness: YouTube has a wide array of full-length workout videos featuring different types of exercises. One option is Fitness Blender which features bodyweight, HIIT, cardio and pilates videos: youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender
- Future Learn: Free, online courses including languages,
health, coding, wellbeing, creative arts and more.